The Eisenhower Dance Ensemble will bring its trademark moves – playful, gymnastic and elegant – to California State University, Monterey Bay’s World Theater on March 9 as the Performing Arts Series resumes. Showtime is 8 p.m.
The Detroit-based contemporary ensemble will present NewDANCEfest, a collection of pieces by choreographers including the company’s artistic director Laurie Eisenhower, Michael Foley, Harrison McEldowney, Stephanie Pizzo, and Paul Christiano. What results is an evening of non-stop connections, re-connections, impetus and force.
On the program:
• No Angels in my Kamikaze Heaven, a work that showcases the strength and grace of the ensemble’s dancers, by Michael Foley
• Dance Sport, a witty satire on competitive sports and professional dance, by Harrison McEldowney
• Love, Love, Love, a dance that deals with the subject of diminishing love, by Laurie Eisenhower
• Threads, a passionate work for eight dancers, by Eisenhower
• Virgo, a beautiful and haunting duet set to the “Ava Maria,” by Paul Christiano
• Unconditional, a work about unconditional love, by Stephanie Pizzo
The company, founded 22 years ago, has received support from the National Endowment for the Arts and the Kresge Foundation, and was recently awarded a prestigious Touring Award from the New England Foundation for the Arts’ National Dance Project.
“No-nonsense moves from the Midwest. . . would be a pleasure to see them again.”
– The New York Times
“Danced with panache . . . succeeds from beginning to end.”
– Dance Magazine
Tickets range from $10 to $40 and can be purchased by calling the World Theater box office at (831) 582-4580 or online.
The World Theater is located on Sixth Avenue near the intersection with A Street on the CSUMB campus. Driving directions and a campus map are available.
AT A GLANCE
• WHAT: Eisenhower Dance Ensemble
• WHERE: CSUMB’s World Theater, Sixth Avenue, near the intersection with A Street
• WHEN: 8 p.m., March 9
• TICKETS: From $10 to $40; buy online or call the box office at 582-4580
• INFORMATION: 582-4580
Photo by Scot Lipiec
Alicia Cutaia and Andrew Cribbett of the Eisenhower Dance Ensemble