• The Santa Cruz Sentinel reported that Dr. Deanne Perez-Granados, associate professor in the Liberal Studies Department, has been appointed to the Santa Cruz City Schools board. She will join the board in December.
– Aug. 14, 2014
• Dr. Lisa Stewart joined President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama for the White House Summit on working Families. According to Carmel Magazine, the invitation arrived after Dr. Stewart earned national notice for her research on the challenges faced by employees who care for a family member with a disability, and how those challenges can impact income and career.
– Summer, 2014
• In the Monterey County Weekly, Dr. Lila Staples, head of the Visual and Public Art Department, talked about her department's healthy relationship with the local art community, noting that the community has been welcoming to students, and, in turn, the students have contributed a younger perspective.
– July 24, 2014
• Dr. Angie Tran was interviewed in the April-May issue of the e-newsletter Made in China. She explained the dynamics of labor activism in Vietnam, based on research for her recent book, Ties That Bind, a study of Vietnamese labor movements.
– July 3, 2014
• The Monterey Herald interviewed Dr. Lisa Stewart about her research on working families and caregiving responsibiities for family members with disabilities. Because of that work, she was invited to participate in the White House Summit on Working Families in Washington, D.C.
– June 21, 2014
• Dr. James Lindholm was interviewed on KAZU (NPR for the Monterey Bay Area) about how marine biologists are cataloging what lives in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, and, in the process, helping those who manage the preserve.
– June 12, 2014
• Dr. John Ittelson, professor emeritus at CSUMB and a senior fellow and acting associate executive director of the Online Education Initiative of the California Community Colleges’ Chancellor’s Office, was interviewed in Campus Technology magazine about the evolution in higher education’s technology landscape brought on by big data.
– May 28, 2014
• For a story on KAZU (NPR for the Monterey Bay Area) about a 3D model of the underwater reserve at Point Lobos, Dr. Rikk Kvitek was interviewed about the work of CSUMB's Seafloor Mapping Lab, where he built a one-of-a-kind boat to map areas near shore.
– May 23, 2014
• Dr. Brad Barbeau was interviewed by the Monterey Herald on the success of the Startup Challenge business competition and its contribution to the local economy.
– May 4, 2014
• Dr. James Lindholm's NOAA grant could change the face of fishing, according to a story in the Monterey County Weekly. His study will compare the ecological impacts of traditional trawl gear to newly modified gear that reduces contact with the seafloor by 90 percent.
– April 10, 2014
• Soyeon Kim, assistant professor of animation and visual/motion design, was interviewed about her work in melding two-dimensional drawings and paintings with three-dimensional environments. The Monterey Herald story explained that CSUMB is beefing up its animation curriculum to meet student interest.
April 10, 2014
• Enid Ryce, chair of the Cinematic Arts and Technology Department, garnered attention in the Monterey Herald, Santa Cruz Sentinel and the Monterey County Weekly for her work in curating "Project Ord," an exhibit of photos, artifacts, films and stories at the Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History.
April 3, 2014
• Dr. Sam Robinson, professor of journalism and media studies, was profiled in the Monterey County Weekly.
April 3, 2014
• Arlene Krebs was named a 2014 Broadband Champion by the California Emerging Technology Fund, the Monterey Herald reported.
March 27, 2014
• Dr. Maria Villasenor was interviewed in the Monterey County Weekly as part of a story looking at a bill that was introduced in the California legislature to require ethnic studies in high schools.
March 6, 2014
• Dr. Marc Los Huertos was interviewed for a story in the Monterey Herald, on ways in which local growers are dealing with the drought. He talked about the "balancing act" farmers face during a drought, and how, even in the best of circumstances, managing fields is a complicated equation.
March 3, 2014
• Dr. George Baldwin was featured in a story in the Osage News, about the annual gathering of Northern California Osage. He and other artists and musicians were invited to showcase their work.
Jan. 29, 2014
• A story in the Monterey Herald featured Professor Enid Baxter Ryce and the art piece she created that was inspired by the theme for First Night Monterey, "SeaChanges." She sculpted the Gabilan mountains and their watershed. Visitors were able to spray the mountains – as if it were raining – and watch how the water flows down through the creeks and rivers and eventually ends up in the ocean.
Jan. 1, 2014
• Dr. Jennifer Colby's work with CSUMB students specializing in sound and video technology was profiled in the Monterey Herald as part of First Night Monterey celebrations.
Dec. 26, 2013
• Dr. Ruben Mendoza was interviewed in The Salinas Californian about Matthew Stirling, a pioneering archaeologist and ethnologist in the early 20th century who came from Salinas.
Dec. 14, 2013
• Johanna Poethig, a public artist and a professor in the Visual and Public Art Department, was interviewed in the Santa Cruz Sentinel about her work and why she became a muralist.
Dec. 4, 2013
• Senior research scientist Forrest Melton was quoted extensively in a story in the Turlock Journal, talking about the benefits of GIS (geographic information systems) technology for California and the globe, and stressing the need to make it more accessible to the public.
Dec. 2, 2013
• KAZU, National Public Radio for the Central Coast, interviewed Dr. Ruben Mendoza about Father Junipero Serra for a story on the tricentennial of Serra's birth.
Nov. 21, 2013
• Linda Glenn, lecturer in Human Communication, was interviewed as a bioethicist/lawyer/futurist for the TV show "FutureScape," which will premier on the Science Channel, on Nov. 19. She appears throughout the six-episode series.
Nov. 11, 2013
• Dr. Ruben Mendoza was interviewed about his work on Father Junipero Serra for EWTN (Eternal Word Television Network), the global Catholic network. The segment will air on Nov. 21. He was also interviewed about the life and times of Father Serra for a series produced by IB3 Television and Tresques Comunicacio and aired throughout Europe and Mexico.
Nov. 11, 2013
• The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)'s website featured a story on research by Dr.Cheryl Logan that suggests coral reefs may be able to adapt to moderate climate change.
Oct. 31, 2013
• President Eduardo Ochoa was featured in the Monterey County Weekly’s “25 Who Got Us Here” story as a game-changing local leader.
Oct. 31, 2013
• Enid Baxter Ryce was featured in the Monterey County Weekly’s “25 for the Next 25” story for her work as an artist and for giving young artists tools they need to succeed.
Oct. 31, 2013
• The Monterey County Weekly featured biology lecturer Dr. Allison Gong and her work with sea stars and a disease that threatens the species.
Oct. 31, 2013
• The Los Angeles Times’ science blog, Science Now, did a story on research by Dr. Cheryl Logan, whose work has demonstrated that coral reefs may be more adaptive to climate change than once thought.
Oct. 29, 2013
• The Salinas Californian quoted Dr. Marc Los Huertos on issues surrounding non-point-source pollution in the agriculture industry
Oct. 25, 2013
• The Monterey Herald quoted Dr. Marc Los Huertos on regulation of groundwater contamination caused by agriculture
Oct. 25, 2013
• The Salinas Californian interviewed Dr. Marylou Shockley about issues surrounding water quality in the Salinas Valley
Oct. 23, 2013
• The Monterey Herald published an op-ed piece by President Eduardo Ochoa advocating a “no” vote on Measures K and M
Oct. 8, 2013
• KSMS interviewed President Eduardo Ochoa as part of a segment on the visit by CSU Chancellor Tim White
Oct. 8, 2013
• Artwork by Emeritus Professor Amalia Mesa-Bains was featured in a Los Angeles Times story about UCLA’s Fowler Museum and its 50th anniversary exhibit
Sept. 28, 2013
• KSMS interviewed President Eduardo Ochoa as part of Univision’s nationwide education event
Sept. 19, 2013
• KCBA interview with Computer Science faculty on the new CSIT-in-3 program
Sept. 14, 2013
• KCBS radio interviewed Dr. Shyam Kamath, dean of the College of Business, about a high-profile rape trial in India
Sept. 10, 2013
• KION interviewed Dr. Ignacio Navarro on the Affordable Care Act and its impact on Monterey County. Dr. Navarro and his colleague, Dr. Kim Judson, authored a study on the subject as the request of the Monterey County Board of Supervisors
Sept. 6, 2013
• The Monterey County Weekly interviewed Dean Tim Angle about the diversity international students bring to a university campus
Sept. 5, 2013
• NPR interviewed Dr. Sathya Narayanan for a story on the CSIT-in-3 program that was broadcast nationally on NPR’s Morning Edition Weekend
Sept. 1, 2013
• KSMS interviewed President Eduardo Ochoa about opportunities at CSUMB
Aug. 30, 2013
• KION interviewed Professor Cheryl Logan on how global warming is influencing the frequency and severity of forest fires
• KSBW interviewed President Eduardo Ochoa on the growth of the university at move-in day
Aug. 23, 2013
• The Salinas Californian interviewed President Eduardo Ochoa about how he plans to widen the university’s outreach
Aug. 23, 2013
• KAZU interviewed Dr. Sathya Narayanan for a story on the CSIT-in-3 program
Aug. 22, 2013
• Men’s Health News interviewed Dr. Rob Weisskirch on decoding text messages of a sexual nature
Aug. 20, 2013
• The Monterey Herald interviewed Dr. Hongde Hu about his program to reduce the number of students who need remedial math by giving them an “algebra booster shot”
Aug. 17, 2013
• KION interviewed Dr. Hongde Hu on teaching math to middle school students at Graniterock’s Algebra Academy
Aug. 13, 2013
• The Monterey County Weekly interviewed President Eduardo Ochoa on his plans to create a Strive Network in Monterey County
Aug. 8, 2013
• KSBW interviewed Dean Ilene Feinman on a Wall Street Journal poll out today that shows the overwhelmingly negative view of Congress by the electorate
July 24, 2013
• The Salinas Californian interviewed Dr. Ronnie Higgs, VP for Student Affairs, about current immigration laws and how they affect college students
July 24, 2013
• KCBA interviewed Dr. Joy Brittain about how families can come up with the money to send their children to college
July 23, 2013
• The Monterey Herald interviewed Dr. Ruben Mendoza about the value of a conference for K-12 teachers on the California missions and why it’s important the teachers learn about the missions
July 19, 2013
• California Health Report interviewed Dr. Ignacio Navarro about a report he authored forecasting the impact of the Affordable Care Act on Monterey County
July 18, 2013
• The Monterey Herald interviewed Dr. Mark O’Shea about the demand for credentialed teachers in Monterey County
July 17, 2013
• The Monterey Herald interviewed Dr. Eric Tao about the Technology, Innovation and Science camp and how it can be a recruitment tool for the university to expand the number of international students who enroll
July 16, 2013
• The Salinas Californian quoted from a study of water quality in the Salinas Valley by Dr. Marc Los Huertos (he was on sabbatical and not available to be interviewed)
July 16, 2013
• KSBW interviewed Dr. Eric Tao about the value of CSUMB’s Technology, Innovation and Science camp that is being held on campus this summer
July 15, 2013
• KSBW interviewed lecturer Natalie Zayas on Upward Bound students who are taking an environmental science class at CSUMB this summer
July 8, 2013
• The Monterey Herald (column by the Monterey County Hospitality Association) interviewed Dr. John Avella about the university’s hospitality program
July 6, 2013
• The Monterey County Weekly interviewed Professors Suzanne Worchester and Rachel Esselstein about the “flipped classroom” they are using
July 4, 2013
• The Monterey County Weekly interviewed Andrea Nield, associate director of CSUMB’s Small Business Development Center about the services it offers
June 27, 2013
• KSMS interviewed President Eduardo Ochoa at Viva la Familia event
June 24, 2013
• KCBA interviewed Dr. David Anderson talked about the politics involved in the Alisal district of Salinas possibly seceding from the city
June 20, 2013
• The Monterey Herald interviewed President Eduardo Ochoa about the role he sees the university playing in the region
June 1, 2013
• The Monterey County Weekly interviewed Professor Paulette Gissendanner about the power of music
May 30, 2013
• MSN Latino interviewed President Eduardo Ochoa after his appointment was made permanent
May 24, 2013
• Science Insider interviewed Dr. Sathya Narayanan about the CSIT-in-3 program
May 13, 2013
• The Lake County News interviewed Vince Ambrosia, senior research scientist at CSUMB, on airborne technology developed at NASA is being used to prepare for this year’s wildfire season
April 12, 2013
• The Salinas Californian interviewed Dr. James Lindholm on the effectiveness of Marine Protection Areas along the Central Coast
March 12, 2013
• NPR’s California Report interviewed Admissions Director David Linnevers on the university’s outreach efforts, including the Super Sunday event at Greater Victory Temple in Seaside
• The Monterey County Weekly interviewed Dr. Eric Tao about the university’s online programs and how they can boost the local economy
Feb. 28, 2013
• KSBW interviewed Dr. Higgs about CSUMB’s outreach efforts after his talk a Seventh Day Adventist church in Seaside as part of Super Sunday
Feb. 16, 2013
• The Monterey County Weekly interviewed Professor Johanna Poethig about public art and media literacy
Feb. 14, 2013
• California Health Report interviewed Dr. Seth Pollack about the power of community gardens to inspire people
Jan. 22, 2013
• KSBW interviewed Dr. Eric Tao about online education
Jan. 14, 2013
• KION interviewed Dr. Ruben Mendoza about digital imaging being used in restoration at Carmel Mission
Jan. 3, 2013